Thursday, July 2, 2009

Scissor Skills

During Diva's first year of MDO, her scissor skills (or lack thereof) were a sticking point between Mommy and the teacher. As the mother of a three-year-old, I was quite happy that she didn't know how to hold scissors ... much less, actually use them. However, Ms. D seemed to see this as a problem. She even sent "homework" to further Diva's use of scissors. After feeling that my child had failed as a three-year-old, I gave up and began encouraging supervised use of scissor. Although it took awhile ... it finally came back to bite me.

Diva was practicing at the kitchen table. A friend recently suggested that I let her cut out coupons as practice, which seemed like a great idea. She was "helping" me and doing quite well. Little Man, in a moment of poor timing, was in desperate need of clean pants. I was only gone for a minute ... long enough to grab a diaper and some wipes. When I returned, I noticed Diva's green ball was missing some of its spikes ... and there was a neat pile of spikes laying in the chair.

Me: Diva, did you cut your ball with the scissors?
Diva: Yeah
Me: Are you supposed to do that?
Diva: No *starting to pout*
Me: "Scissors Are For Cutting Paper" lecture

I thought we were making real progress here. She repeated back the proper use of scissors and then stated that she didn't want to play with me anymore. Apparently, I am mean. I chose to ignore that statement and turned to walk away. It was then that I discovered the true extent of the problem ...

Diva held up her hand and asked "Mommy, what about this?"

In her hand was one perfect blonde curl ...

Her MDO teacher, Ms. D, would be happy to know that she held the scissors correctly and used the open-slide-close method when SHE CUT HER HAIR!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment