Friday, July 10, 2009

Bumps and Bruises ... Oh My!!!

Accident-prone ... it's really just a nice way of saying clumsy. My kids are clumsy, plain and simple. More than one person commented on my name choice for "Diva" - it just didn't seem to suit a child of mine. You see ... I am not exactly the most graceful person. So, why would I expect anything less from my kids?
In our four short years as parents the injuries have been frequent. There have been the normal cuts and bruises, a chipped tooth with a lesson learned about dancing on the table, a black eye/nose combo that put an end to coffee tables in our house, numerous busted lips treated with popsicles ... and on and on. I have no doubt that we will get our money's worth on that accident insurance policy. We also learned a few things with Diva - Little Man had dental insurance before he had teeth. When asked at a well-child visit about Diva's bruises, I gave a honest answer. "I have no idea where they came from, but I don't remember these either," showing my own bruised legs. You see ... it runs in the family.
However, today I have to wonder when Family Services will be paying a visit? I have two children with goose eggs on their foreheads at the same time. I mean, really, what are the odds that happens to someone? She fell out of bed, landing on her head. Hysterical screams at 5am and her very sleepy mother scooped her up, but didn't notice the bruise until daylight!! As of today, it was fading nicely into a light yellow-brown. Ever the competitor, Little Man had to out do her. I have no idea how it happened (although I have a vague idea it involved climbing) ... I heard the screams after the fact. At least I noticed his, right? Hard to miss ... center of the forehead and purple/blue within a minute. I think he wins.

1 comment:

  1. The ones from little diva sticking her legs through the bed railings... remember they looked like fingerprints? That'll get child services out there. ;)

    ReplyDelete