Friday, May 8, 2009

Is This Your Kid?

It all started with me running late - something that was never a problem until I had kids. I got stuck in town, unsure I would make it back in time to pick Diva up from MDO. Mother-in-law to the rescue. The call was placed and she agreed to meet Diva at MDO and wait with her until I arrived (I was only going to be about 5 minutes late). I made pretty good time driving back and actually got there on time. As I arrived at Diva's classroom, her teacher was gone and another mom was minding the class. She was holding a child (remember this, it becomes important soon), but I was too focused on finding Diva to notice much else.

I scanned the class and not seeing Diva, began this conversation:
Her: Who are you looking for?
Me: I don't see her, but her grandma may have beat me here
Her: What's her name?
Me: "Diva"
Her: This "Diva"? **with funny look on her face, pointing to the child she is holding**
Me: Um ... yeah, that's my "Diva"

Not that there could possibly be any defense for not recognizing your own child
but ... I left home early that morning and didn't get her dressed. On top of that,
her hair had not been fixed because her Daddy doesn't do hair. So, I paid no real
attention to the random child this woman was holding because Diva would never
look the mess that she did that day ... mismatched clothes/wild hair/face turned
the other direction. And my beautiful baby girl just looked at me like I had lost
my mind ... pretty much the same look the other mom gave me.

Surprisingly, I was able to take her home without producing any identification and Family Services has yet to show up at my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment