Tuesday, August 14, 2012

It's All a Matter of Perspective

I try to be careful about what my kids see and do, attempting to cling to that last bit of childhood innocence for as long as possible.  A good job is done is most areas, although it does appear that there is some room for improvement.

Driving home from school with the radio on.  Momma can only take so much Radio Disney and Laurie Berkner CDs, so we were listening to a popular local station.  It's funny how you never really notice the lyrics ... until your parents or small children are in the car.

"My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State"

As I am thinking that this isn't the most appropriate song, a little voice chimes in from the backseat:
LM: "Momma, this isn't a nice song."  *hmm, I couldn't agree more, but how do I explain this one?
LM:  "He's talking about a bathroom and we don't talk about that."

So, we both agree it isn't a good song for the four-year-old to be singing.  It's just the reasoning that differs a bit - potty talk vs drug use. 

I only hope we have a few more years where the worst thing he can think of is talking about a bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment