Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sharing Is Overrated

My kids hear it constantly. It is probably one of the most repeated phrases in our home. Because it doesn't happen consistently, it requires what seems like an almost constant reminder.

"Share (insert approriate item) with your brother/sister!"

The above phrase is usually met with some variation of "I had it first!" or "it's mine!" Clearly sharing is still a work in progress around here.

This week we had visitors. Well, not exactly visitors, the kids are roughly the same ages and have grown up together. They typically play together well and sleepovers are as smooth as they can be at this age. A late night case of the giggles aside, this visit seemed no different from previous ones.

The kids got up way too early and we headed to the table for a healthy breakfast of PopTarts. After breakfast the girls headed to the bathroom to start getting ready for the day. Diva's toothbrush, complete with toothpaste, had already been laid out. I explained to Miss C that I couldn't find hers, but she could brush her teeth at home that morning. As things appeared under control, I headed to the other room. After dressing the boys, I realized the girls were still in the bathroom. Two little girls, a room with a ready water supply and silence ... I was a bit concerned.

I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted at the bathroom door by a lack of obvious damage. And then I noticed it ... Miss C was holding a toothbrush and there was a ring of toothpaste around her lips.
Diva proudly announced:
"Momma I let her use mine because she didn't have one."

Fabulous! We don't believe in sharing toys or food around here ... but toothbrushes are perfectly fine. As previously stated, sharing is a work in progress around here.

1 comment:

  1. YUCK. There was that one time. She said I could use Daddy's toothbrush. We could wash the germs off.

    ReplyDelete