Monday, February 1, 2010

Fine Dining

I have never been the fancy restaurant kinda girl. After becoming a mother, the concept of "fine dining" is practically nonexistent. My idea of dinner out ... actually going into McDonald's instead of hitting the drive-thru. Meals fixed at home also tend to be quick and easy. This is not to say that I don't cook ... it just tends to be in a crock pot or casserole dish.

A few nights ago was no exception. After running errands with the kids all afternoon, five o'clock came much sooner than I had anticipated. Reaching for something quick and easy, tuna salad sandwiches became dinner for the night. Kids plates were prepared, although there was no real hope of them actually consuming said food. However, the promise of a Little Debbie "heart cake" after dinner was on my side. Little Man refused to touch his sandwich, but surprisingly Diva actually ate a few bites from around the edges. That heart cake was sitting on the counter taunting her ... she really had no choice but to eat the tuna.

As we were finishing dinner, I hear:
"Momma, I like my sandwich ... next time can you put less skunk in it."
Huh? Surely I misunderstood that one?
"What baby?"
"Can you put less skunk in it? I don't like skunk."

I will admit to some "creative" cooking, especially early in my marriage. We have eaten dry chicken, crunchy rice and mushy pasta as I learned how to cook. There was an unfortunate incident when a can of jalapenos was mistaken for green chiles. However, I have never served skunk ... ill-prepared or otherwise!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm... good ol' country cookin'.

    That's some down-home stuff right there.

    ReplyDelete