Saturday, October 8, 2011

How to Choose a Job

I have often said, I don't care what careers my children choose, as long as it makes them happy.  True success and happiness, after all, are rarely measured on a W-2.  At this age, the career aspirations change on a daily basis from the high-reaching (astronaut) to the nearly impossible (dragon).  Typically, we smile and encourage, waiting on the next change of plans.  A recent conversation wasn't typical ...

Diva: "I wanna be a fireman when I grow up."
Me: "Okay.  That sounds good."
Diva: "I have to wait until I am 21, cause you have to be 21 to be a fireman."
Me:  "That sounds like a good plan.  Why do you want to be a fireman?"
*the local firefighters had recently visited the school and we have a long history with them related to a problematic alarm system.   I was expecting a response related to these encounters*
Diva: "Cause they slide down poles and I like to slide down poles"

hmm ...
As a friend commented, I hope she lets go of that dream before realizing firefighters make considerably less money that some other "pole sliders"

That dragon is sounding better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment