Thursday, January 14, 2010

Time Out ... Mommy Style

Help, I have a Diva ... and she's out of control!

Time out is a regular occurance in our home. Some days we stop there before making it to breakfast in the morning. If we can get through the morning without a visit, there is cause for celebration ... or the feeling that something must be horribly wrong with my Diva.

The rules are really quite simple:
  • You must actually sit up in time out and remain in one spot.
  • Your time begins when you are sitting quietly.
  • If you begin screaming, your time will start over.
  • After the timer goes off, you must go to the person that put you there and talk about why you ended up in time out.

Recently, Diva was on her way to that all to familiar place. As is usually the case, she felt the need to throw a fit and take off her clothes (not sure why those always seem to go together) before settling into time out. I reminded her of the rules and laid down on the couch to wait out the screaming.

Fastforward about an hour ...
I realize, looking at the clock, apparently I had fallen asleep. The house is remarkably intact, there is no screaming and I can hear both kids playing ... all good signs after an unintentional nap!

At this point, Diva (still sans clothes) comes up to me and says:
"Mommy I got out of time out when you were asleep."

Yeah, I got nothing!!! If Mommy falls asleep before you can make it to rule #2, it is kind of hard to continue on to #3 and #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment